LTL is an acronym that stands for "Less Than Truckload" used to describe the transportation of freight that is bulky or too big for parcel carriers like the US postal service. Essentially, LTL companies transport goods that only occupy a small portion of an entire shipment. LTL shipping is a cost-effective method where several businesses shipping freight have their cargo contained in one trailer per their sizes/weight and placed on pallets on the trailer and then transported by a freight carrier.
HOW DOES LTL WORK
LTL works on a hub and spoke pattern. Local terminals are known as the spokes. While the larger central terminals are the distribution centers, known as the hubs. Bounded terminals, collect the regional freight from several shippers then incorporate the freightage into outward trailers. These trailers then are transferred to the hub terminal where the goods have to be sorted for further transportation. LTL provides services for companies or individuals who have a relatively small load of freight that can't be transported by small carrier service providers. The LTL carriers move palletized goods broken down into small units. LTL is the ultimate option in the shipping business, especially when you are on a cut-price budget.
BENEFITS OF USING LTL SHIPPING COMPANIES
LTL shipping offers benefits that are beyond decreased shipping costs. Below are three benefits that come with LTL shipping.
• Trackability. LTL trucking companies provide an estimate of transit days, and a shipper can always refer to the bill of lading number to know where and how close their goods are.
• Eco-friendly. Due to having several goods shipped together, LTL companies reduce carbon emissions by sharing space.
• Provision of extra services. Shippers who use LTL shipping have access to several services like pickup and delivery, non-commercial delivery liftgates, and notification options.
FACTORS THAT DETERMINE LTL SHIPPING RATES
Listed below are determinants that once singled out will generate most accurate valuations.
• Pickup and delivery. Shippers should know if the LTL company is based in their region to avoid using a second carrier which will attract extra charges.
• Shipment specs. Weight and dimensions affect the rate of fees.
• Special requirements. Some goods like oversized devices and glass material goods demand a lot of caution which will always bring an extra cost to the standard shipping rate. LTL shipping is the best shipping alternative that does not require a whole trailer for your goods. Use this guide to help you ship when you consider using LTL shipping in California.